The Insider | Alison Van Pelt
By ALEX HAWGOOD|
The Insider is a recurring profile of tastemakers in the fields of fashion, design, food, travel and the arts. Here the Los Angeles-based painter Alison Van Pelt shares a few of her style essentials. A new exhibition of her latest body of work, “If I Were Ed Ruscha,” will show at the Museum of Contemporary Art China in Hong Kong in November. (The museum officially opens this fall.)
Name: Alison Van Pelt
Age: Old enough to know better!
Occupation: Artist (painter)
Home base: Santa Monica Canyon
Retail standby: Madison, Ron Herman, Fred Segal, Planet Blue
Music venue: The Green Door
Favorite concert: Jack Bambi
Music: Whatever Maggie put on my iPod Provisions: PC Greens, Whole Foods, Yummi
For gifts: Hermès
Restaurant: Patrick’s Roadhouse and Axe for breakfast; Vito for the caesar salad; penne vodka at Laconda Portofino; truffle ravioli at Giorgio; jalapeño yellowtail at Nobu; sea bass at Chaya; truffle macaroni at the Beachcomber; coffee at Cafe Luxxe
Drink: Champagne or tequila
Party central: My bed
Momentary style obsessions: Jenni Kayne, Tom Binns, Lanvin Reading material: “Loving Frank,” by Nancy Horan; ridiculous number of magazines; The New York Times
Art pick: Kaz Oshiro
Museums: LACMA,MOMA,MOCA SMMOA
Movie: “Roman Holiday”
Vacation destination: My friend’s boat (wherever it is)
Something you are looking forward to this summer: The beach with my dogs
Alison’s Santa Monica Canyon Neighborhood
Here are some of Van Pelt’s favorite haunts in L.A. that she visits regularly. The map below is interactive; click on the blue markers to learn more about Alison’s spots.
- Patrick’s Roadhouse — Silvio takes care of you and makes great fresh smoothies. And close to home
- Axe — Best (and biggest) pancakes. Everything’s organic
- Vito — They make the caesar at the table. (Check out the wine list.)
- The Beachcomber Cafe — Remember “Alice’s Restaurant”? Right there on the pier. The Tiki room is great.
- Nobu — Yum.
- Caffe Luxxe — best cappuccino
- Jenni Kayne (e-mail) — everything is gorgeous.
- The Green Door — Jason Scoppa does a smooth (yet rocking) jazz night on Tuesdays.
- PC Greens — They take care of you at the juice bar.
- Ron Herman (Malibu) — They let my dogs run around the store.